Wednesday, November 5, 2014

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You Very Short Fables to Read Together

This book is comprised of very short fables to read together. It has two different reading parts, color-coordinated and organized in such a way that makes it easy to tell the difference between the parts. At the end of each fable, the moral of the story is written in pink, just like the title of each fable. Each fable is comprised of two-three reading parts and pictures to explain the fable as you go. I really like how in this book it encourages students to read to someone else. The fables consisting of rhyming and easy sight words that are good for beginning readers. This will help the readers to build up their confidence and create a safe place for students to want to read aloud. The last thing I really like about this book is how the book explains how it should be read and where the ideas from this book came from. Students find this information interesting and it can help them to gain a better understanding of why the author wrote what they did. Once again, this became one of my new favorite book and it will definitely be a hit among my future students.

As a student that once struggled with reading, I would have loved to have seen a book like this published when I was younger. I think it is very creative and a good way to get students to work on reading aloud without putting any sorts of pressure on them. I would want to use this book in lower elementary grades. In my opinion, I feel that it can be used for English Language Learners (ELL) and English Second Language (ESL) students. Since the structure, format, and illustrations of the book are easy to understand, ESL and ELL students are sure to love and benefit from this book. The words are simpler for them and all students love a book that has rhyme and rhythm to it. I would want groups of two to come and read a different fable to me with a partner. This will help the students to work on their collaboration with one another and get them to practice their fluency when reading aloud. Lastly, this book is a great book to have at home. Parents, older siblings, and other guardians can easily read a fable a night with their student to help them work on their reading skills. It promotes unity and more parent/guardian involvement with students' schooling. I really love this book!

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You     Very Short Fables to Read Together
Author: Mary Ann Hoberman
Illustrator: Michael Emberley
Year Published: 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment